Friday, May 29, 2009

From Brandon Riffel

Dear Rud and Ann,

My last final was for my Constitutional Law class, which I took May 15 at 7:30 a.m. One of the questions on the test asked how the Supreme Court decided that minors and the “mentally r-word” could not be sentenced to death (my teacher also didn’t use the word when we discussed the case in class, but for the purpose of the test she had to cite it the way the Justices did in the case). When I saw the r-word on the test, I immediately scratched it out to the point where it was no longer visible. Then, I wrote a note at the top of the question which read, “In honor of JT Turnbull I refuse to use this word.” At that point, I started thinking about how much JT and the Turnbull family has done for me. I thought of how it was so fitting that I honor JT on my last college exam because if I had never met JT and the Turnbull family, there is no doubt in my mind that I would never have graduated from college. When I got home and realized that the day I had been looking forward to for four years had finally come, I began to get emotional, but not because I had finally finished. Instead, it was an overwhelming mix of emotions because I started thinking about JT and how much I miss him and owe him for whatever I accomplish in life. I thinking about every memory that I had of him from the first time I met him until the last time I saw him. I couldn’t think of a better ending to my college career than to reflect on the people who made it all possible and the nicest people I will ever know, JT Turnbull and his family.

I will always cherish my relationship with JT and the Turnbull family. He is still and always will be an integral part of my daily life. I have learned to much from Jay, from the Jay’isms (“I’m fine,” and my personal favorite, “Duke is the best”), to his outlook on life and the things that brought him joy (spending time with his family, going to a nice restaurant, etc.). Rud and Ann, I sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing JT into my life and for all the countless kind gestures you have extended to me. I am forever indebted to you.

Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment